My family loves enchiladas. When I make them for a meal, I like to cook them as a layered casserole. By doing this, I don’t have to individually roll each tortilla. I like the idea that you can layer everything in a dish and bake it in the oven. If you like this recipe, you can also check out my green chicken enchilada casserole.
Creamy Red Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
1 dozen small tortilla shells
4 chicken breasts
1&1/2 tsp. jalapeno salt
1 tsp. oil
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup sour cream
1&1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup red enchilada sauce
1 tsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup cheddar combined with 1 cup jalapeno jack cheese
1. Season chicken with 1 tsp. jalapeno salt. Saute in 1 tsp. oil until cooked through. Set aside.
2. In a separate pot, combine the butter and flour. Cook until bubbling. Then, immediately, add the chicken broth, red enchilada sauce, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder and the remaining 1/2 tsp. jalapeno salt. Combine and cook until thickened. Finally, put the burner on low and add the sour cream. Stir and cook only until incorporated. Remove from heat.
3. Shred chicken.
4. Spray the bottom of an 8×8 pan with cooking spray.
5. Begin layering ingredients-For the first layer, put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Top with three flour tortillas, chicken and cheese.
Breakdown of the other layers:
Second layer: three tortillas, sauce, chicken, cheese
Third : three tortillas, sauce, chicken, cheese
Top layer: three tortillas, remaining sauce, remaining cheese
6. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.