Now that Black Friday is over, here are my tips for getting the best price all year long.
1. Subscribe to every store’s e-mail list. By doing this you will gain access to private sales and extra discounts.
2. Always sign up for a store’s birthday program. You will usually get free items or discounts in honor of your special day.
3. Join every store’s rewards/loyalty program. Some of my favorites include Best Buy, Sephora, DSW, Famous Footwear, Ulta and Starbucks. All of these places offer points based on the amount of money you spend, which translates into free/additional savings.
4. I absolutely refuse to pay for shipping when I shop online. I will actually wait until a store has a free shipping offer or I will search the Web until I find a free shipping discount code.
5. Use credit cards that provide additional discounts. Always make sure you are up to date on the card’s current programs.
6. Wait for the Friends and Family Days. Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy have days where everything is 35% off online and in the store. They do this several times a year.
7. Make a journey to your nearest outlet mall. If you have a Prime Outlet Mall, join the site and print out the appropriate coupons. You can save major money by shopping at outlet malls.
8. Before you buy in the store, check the Web. I’ve found that there are usually additional discounts for shopping the store online. Also, many companies offer special items only on their Web sites.
9. Sign up for a store’s catalog. Land’s End, for example, always puts a coupon in the catalog that can be use online or in the store.
10. Try shopping at Amazon. The site offers very competitive pricing.