I’ve always heard that roasted chestnuts are the ideal holiday treat. There is even famous Christmas song that talks about chestnuts roasting on an open fire…. In an effort to get my family in the holiday spirit, I decided that we should roast chestnuts. Believe it or not, it is very easy.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place the chestnuts in a colander and rinse. Dry thoroughly.
3. Using a cutting board and sharp knife, cut either a crisscross or clamshell pattern into each chestnut. (I used both methods with the same results.)
3. Place all of the nuts on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
5. While the chestnuts are warm, peel away and remove the outer shell.
6. Serve immediately.