Here are the top 10 ways I keep my family entertained on long car trips:
1. Fill a small bag with each child’s favorite toys, books, coloring books and snacks. I made an activity kit that would be ideal for this bag. To see how I put it together, click here.
2. Bring surprises, like small wrapped toys, to give out during the trip.
3. Make sure your child’s favorite movies and apps are loaded onto your iPad or your family’s portable media device.
4. Listen to audio books. You can find family friendly books that everyone will enjoy. Check out your local library’s Web site. Mine has a great selection of audio books. They really do make the trip go by faster. (My husband and I also have our own mp3 players loaded with books. So, we each have something to listen to while we take turns sleeping during the drive.)
5. Break up the trip. Before going out of town, look at the route and plan interesting stops that will allow your family to get out of the car for a few minutes at a time.
6. Have everyone in the car do Mad Libs together.
7. Take the trivia cards out of a game (like Trivial Pursuit) and take them with you in the car. Play with everyone in the car and keep score on paper.
8. Change the radio station and play guess the song.
9. Have a contest to see who can spot the most out of state license plates.
10. Have a well stocked cooler with everyone’s favorite beverages and plenty of water.