This is a delicious casserole that your whole family will enjoy. It easier to prepare than enchiladas, because you don’t have to roll ingredients inside tortillas. You just have to layer everything in the pan and put it in the oven.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
1 dozen small tortilla shells
4 chicken breasts
1&1/2 tsp. jalapeno salt
1 tsp. oil
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup sour cream
1&1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup HEB’s That Green Sauce (or substitute a green salsa)
1 tsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup cheddar combined with 1 cup jalapeno jack cheese
1. Season chicken with 1 tsp. jalapeno salt. Saute in 1 tsp. oil until cooked through. Set aside.
2. In a separate pot, combine the butter and flour. Cook until bubbling. Then, immediately, add the chicken broth, That Green Sauce, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder and the remaining 1/2 tsp. jalapeno salt. Combine and cook until thickened. Finally, put the burner on low and add the sour cream. Stir and cook only until incorporated. Remove from heat.
3. Shred chicken.
4. Spray the bottom of an 8×8 pan with cooking spray.
5. Begin layering ingredients-For the first layer, put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Top with three flour tortillas, chicken and cheese.
Breakdown of the other layers:
Second layer: three tortillas, sauce, chicken, cheese
Third : three tortillas, sauce, chicken, cheese
Top layer: three tortillas, remaining sauce, remaining cheese
6. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.